Export Control Classification

Classification Services

Export control classifications are vital to properly applying the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR.)  Is combing through the EAR’s Commerce Control List (CCL) or the ITAR’s United States Munitions List (USML) taking too much of your time?  Or does your organization lack the scientific and regulatory knowledge required to determine the Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) or Category in the USML?

Our experts can help you.  You describe your products, technology, or services and we’ll provide the ECCN classification under the CCL or ITAR classification under the USML.

We have determined the export control classification number (ECCN) of thousands of items, including equipment, parts, materials, chemicals, gases, technology, and software, for companies of all sizes.  We are knowledgeable in the new 600 series and 500 series ECCNs, as well as ECCNs that use the new term Specially Designed.

Classification Determination for Universities

Are you struggling to classify that home-grown or modified piece of equipment on the EAR’s Commerce Control List or ITAR’s United States Munitions List?  Do your faculty members and researchers need to ship lab equipment or parts outside the U.S. for on-site research?  Has your university identified that a project does not fall under the Fundamental Research Exclusion, and now you are struggling to classify the research results?

We can help determine the export classification of externally purchased or in-house materials, equipment, and technologies under the various government control lists.   We bring the scientific knowledge required to discuss your PI’s research and the technical parameters that might be triggered in the CCL or USML.

Commodity Classification Request

Are you interested in having the U.S. government determine the export control classification number for you?  Our consultants can draft a Commodity Classification Request (CCR) and submit it on your company’s behalf.  You can then walk away with a formal determination, commonly referred to as a “CCATS,” from the Department of Commerce Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS.)